Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Out by the skin of my teeth!

December 22 ~

At 5AM I crunched my way through 8" of snow to my shuttle. We crawled at 25 mph to the airport in the predawn hours. Not surprisingly (despite an earlier confirming email) my flight was canceled. A four-hour wait in a serpentine line earned me a seat on a new flight some 8 hours later in the day. Yippee!!

It was cozy in the airport lobby. I gazed out at rows of boarding platforms without planes.


It was a tinker-toy wonderland with snowplows churning industriously to and fro. I couldn't help but be reminded of the toys my nephew once played with.


Finally at 4:05 PM we gratefully and incredulously boarded.


I couldn't believe it was really happening until I was airborne. This is a shot of a very snowy PDX. Free wine and beer were served on board. It all felt like a small miracle.

1 comment:

Quiet Paths said...

Oh my, I heard about delays of delays. Glad you got out safely. Love the snowy shot from above. My SIL had to wait over 24 hours in Mnnlps.