Thursday, October 16, 2008

Where I Walk

Just 2 miles from my house is access to one of Vancouver's river walks, Burnt Bridge Creek. There's ample parking and lovely views.


Beautiful stonework borders the creek-crossings:


The area by the main boulevard is planted with wild roses:


They produce enormous "hips" about the size of your thumb:


Here's the overall effect:


I usually walk between 7 and 8 AM. I love the smells and the wildness. It's nice not to worry about cars or uneven pavement. Below is the area folks frequently let their dogs off leash.


I came across this oddity - 6.25 miles East of Lake Vancouver, where Burnt Bridge Creek empties. I found another at 5.75 miles. Don't know why the odd mile fractions.

Couldn't help but think of my friend on the Northern California coast who loves geocaching.


My destination before I turn back is the bridge over the creek, where first I look back from where I came (East) and gaze at the fingerlings and submerged grasses undulating in the slow current.


Then I walk over to the other side and study the waters where my friend John Rotsart spied a dozen or so 4" long crayfish. I look and look but can't spot them now. Maybe they hybernate in winter?


It's about 3 miles round trip. So far, no matter what the temperature, I'm warm by the time I return to my car.

No comments: