Friday, October 31, 2008

They're up! (sort of)

I counted 46 Fava bean sprouts -- that's about a 50% yield. This isn't balmy San Francisco so germination has been much slower.


I've found a few casualties. I'm not sure of the predators -- but jays and squirrels "handle" everything in the ground. This was the first sprout. It's been nibbled on for the past week and now it's been cut clean in half.


I planted alternating rows of 3 and 4 seeds. It's rare to find more than 2 sprouts to a row.


I'll broadcast red clover to fill in the gaps. They're very hardy and easy to plant. Here are the sprouts from about 10 days ago.


Now I read that folks are starting the Fava beans indoors and planting the seedlings!!

Meanwhile the colors continue. The Parrotia Perska is the yellow tree in front of the maple with the red burning bush underneath.


The maple is a Red Sunset maple. How appropriate.

1 comment:

Quiet Paths said...

This is some amazing color! I'd have to wear sunglasses when I got up in the morning.