Thursday, October 30, 2008

Better than TV

Today's project was to enlarge the "circle" under my infamous tree in the front yard -- that everyone admires, but nobody knows what it is.


With a lot of bending and crawling and shoveling I laid down a layer of newspaper, a layer of wood chips and a layer of compose. It's called lasagna gardening. We'll see.


The blue jays thought I did it just for them! After all that work I could hardly move. I took a shower and then brought out my camera, blankets and my La Fuma recliner. I felt like I was in my own personal park.


The last rays of evening sunlight warmed me and lit up the orange-red barberry shrubs while the chickadees flitted in the branches and supped from the bird bath.

Here are two Black-capped Chickadees and an Oregon Dark-eyed Junco:. (this is the better than TV part)

2 comments:

Ron Bloomquist said...

Well done!

The fall colors are wonderful!

More!

Anonymous said...

Ok ... so here's my guess. I'm wondering if the mystery tree is a type of elm. The foliage looks very much like an Ulmus sempervirens 'Seiju' that I have at my nursery and have seen in a friend's garden. Can't see the foliage very well in this shot, but the texture of the foliage is somewhat similar. Perhaps you could post a close-up photo of the foliage if you have one. Just a thought ... maybe it will help narrow the field of possibilities.