Sunday, June 08, 2008

It all started with an energy audit

The local utility, Clark PUD offers a free energy audit. Overall, the assessor was fairly conservative. He discouraged solid foam insulation and told me my double pane windows were adequate and replacing them would not be cost effective.

First culprit, however, was the refrigerator. The original 1990 era Kenmore was not any level of energy star efficiency.

So off I go, now given free license to indulge in refrigerator shopping! I'd long dreamed of getting the super efficient (255 Kw/year) Eco-Fridg / Conserv but was put off by the small refrigeration compartment -- for better or worse.

Following the ACEEE guide, I got what appeared to be a modestly sized Frigidaire in the showroom. It looks a lot bigger in my kitchen.



I'm very happy with the door bins and I like the handles. But I've still got a lot of empty space to fill.

No comments: