Thursday, November 06, 2008

The new face of Fall ...

Sunrise: 6:57 am
Sunset: 4:51 pm (I can attest that it is pitch black at 5pm)


As Fall progresses, there's a new face in my garden. Fluffy, lush growth is being replace by transparent, veiny outlines of nude branches.


This Japanese maple got some help with leaf removal. The dead leaves tend to get tangled in clotted masses and rot "on the vine" as it were. I just swept my hand through the branches and the leaves fell off without protest.


I am continually struck by how this seasonal transformation resembles Christmas ornaments. These raindrops look for all the world like a string of lights. (click on image to enlarge)


I haven't figured out how to broaden the depth of field on my camera. Where I see the entire plant in focus, my camera wants a narrower target. Taking pictures sure makes you appreciate what our eyes can do!

No comments: