Sunday, January 25, 2009

Snow Curiosities

We had a more regionally typical dusting of snow last night. I took off for a morning walk to enjoy it while it lasted. The thick morning accumulation melted very quickly as the day progressed.

The first to greet me were these imprints of raccoon (I think). Notice the larger hind feet.


In a world turned white, the crows were still black as ever. There's a pair in this tree.


There are at least 12 birdhouses in this picture. (Can you find them all?) There were several dozen more in the adjacent trees.


Later I came across this string of Christmas lights along a fence. Those little projectiles are the plastic ties holding them on the fence.


The thin snow left traces of all kinds of things -- from bird tracks on roofs to tire spray and every walker's footprints. Even snow falling off the wires left distinctive strips.


I came home to the imprints of all the birds scavenging the spray from my feeder.

No comments: